Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Raphaelle on 'Jagged Little Pill'

On it's 20th anniversary, The Guardian is taking a look back at Alanis Morissette's 'JaggedLittle Pill' and asking young women in the music industry what it means to them. Here's what Raphaelle had to say:

Raphaelle Standell-Preston, 25, Braids
Jagged Little Pill was my first record. My dad bought it for me on tape. Listening to it again in my 20s, it has been hugely inspirational in cultivating confidence to “tell it like it is”; she is very unabashed in what she wants to say. I’ve never had to defend loving Alanis. I never knew it was uncool. Alanis is raw, she’s vulnerable, and her voice is extremely powerful and emotional. When I listen to Jagged Little Pill, it instills in me the desire to share what I’ve experienced. She remains one of my favourite female artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment