Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Interview at The Montreal Gazette

Nice interview with The Montreal Gazette, mainly about 'Miniskirt'. Here's an excerpt:

Braids vocalist Raphaelle Standell-Preston wanted her words to resonate on Miniskirt, the first single from the trio’s third album, Deep in the Iris. So far, the message has been received.

“We were in Manchester and there was a group of guys to the right of the stage singing the lyrics,” the 25-year-old said from London on a day off from a short European tour. “I was ecstatic. I was really proud of the lyrics I was writing. I wanted to put myself out there and be heard.”

The subject matter of Miniskirt made their Manchester moment all the more rewarding. Over building electronic textures and a haunting piano, the first half confronts double standards between men and women when it comes to sexuality. (Derogatory terms are flung at her, while her male equivalent is softly described as a Casanova.)
The concluding verse explores a much deeper personal story about life experiences she said she “needed to get off my chest and liberate myself from.”

No comments:

Post a Comment